Thursday, April 17, 2014

DIY Felt Play Kitchen




Continuing in my attempts to make homemade toys, here is a super simple "play kitchen" that can be whipped up in less than a 1/2 hour. You can see the play campfire set I made out of felt a couple weeks back, here. 

Materials:

Felt Squares,  (white and gray that I had on hand)

I just took one sheet of stainless steel gray felt for the base of my stove top.  I sewed on white felt circles in a swirl stitch to mimic burners.  Lastly, I sewed on a strip of white felt at the back to house the dials and clock (which were quickly drawn on with a "Sharpie" pen).  I pulled out a mini "egg" skillet for my boys to use on the mini stove.  The "egg and bacon" are also made out of felt. 


If you cook you have to clean, so I made a "sink" out of an old packaging carton.  I glued white felt to the outside of the carton with with fabric adhesive.  I then glued a piece of blue felt to the inside bottom to mimic water and sewed together a tube of felt for the straw faucet cover.



This project cost me $0, because I already had the materials on hand.  This little "kitchen" set is easy to pack away and travel with.  The hours of fun my boys have already gotten out of this toy is well worth my small investment of time.

Have you made any homemade toys lately?  I would love to hear about them.

-Laura-

No comments:

Post a Comment