Thursday, May 9, 2013

Yummy Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cookies



Lately I have been looking for ways to "tweak" recipes to make them a bit healthier.  Mind you, I don't think you can really make cookies healthy, but in an effort to make a classic treat a tad more friendly I made the following changes to the classic Nestle Toll House recipe.  First I swapped the sugar for applesauce.  I also used "dark" chocolate instead of milk chocolate chips.  Everything I read suggests that dark chocolate is better for your health. Lastly, I prefer Crisco's "butter flavored" shortening to real butter (just for taste and texture).

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup Crisco Butter flavored shortening
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Dark Chocolate Chips



Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in dark chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
 
The applesauce makes the cookies a lot "fluffier" but they are still very tasty.  I know the shortening, flour, and brown sugar are still on the "dark" side of healthy but I guess every little switch helps when trying to watch what you eat.

Has anyone else tweaked a classic recipe to be a bit healthier recently?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment