Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Hanging Map Pictures and a New Sofa

 
 
There are two spaces that have pretty much been neglected since we moved into our house three years ago, our study/office and the craft/guest room.  Slowly but surely we are starting to finally tackle these rooms. 
 

 
First step in the study/office was to buy a sofa.  We thought it would be nice to have some additional seating in this room to go with the computer chair, desk, and shelving.  We found this "all leather" sofa at the "Family Furniture Store" in Elizabethton, TN.  It was a real bargain and reminds me of some of the older "Restoration Hardware" leather sofas that I have admired in the past.  Most importantly my better half thinks it is really comfortable...SOLD!
 
English Roll Arm Sofa by Restoration Hardware
 
The next step was to hang my "Map" pictures which used to reside in our living room at our first house.  They have been living in a closet for the last three years (yeah they finally found a home in daylight again).  I really love these map pictures.  I found the vintage colored map of the United States at "Office Max" about six years ago.  Luckily I know a good framer who cut the map into four equal sections and then added some simple black moulding.  I requested "no glass", because I want to "pin/flag" all the places my family travels to.  The "pins/flags" will have to wait until my boys are a bit older and there is no danger of them "mysteriously" disappearing.
 
I shopped my house for the trunk/coffee table.  The trunk had been awkwardly taking up a corner in our dining room.  This trunk is a piece I inherited from my grandparent's house in south Georgia.  The trunk was left in the attic by the previous owner of my grandparent's house.  The letters "END" are the initials of that home owner, Edith Nadine Darbyshire.  The Darbyshires were a prominent family that traveled abroad and overseas.  I believe this trunk was used to pack clothing for those journeys.  The trunk opens like a book on its end.  When you open the trunk, you see a stack of drawers upholstered in some now tattered fabric and on one the other side is a rack for hanging clothes.
 
One day I would like to reupholster the inside of this trunk but for now I am content to use it as a coffee table.
 
The craft/guest room is also starting to come together.  Here is a sneak peek at a poster and frame that I found for the space on a recent trip to IKEA.
 

 
 
Last, but not least both of these rooms have received a fresh coat of paint in Sherwin Williams' "Taupe Tone".  Despite the "taupe" in the color name, this is a really nice warm grey.
 


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea to frame the map as four separate pictures! Watch out...I might have to steal that idea. I love how you've mixed old and new pieces to create a timeless look.

    ReplyDelete