Monday, September 9, 2013

DIY Headboard and Customizing Stock Bedding


Our master bedroom is still very much a work in progress.  I would like to paint the walls and get rid of the "peach-toned" color from the previous home owner. I also want to get a rug, light/fan, and eventually replace or slip cover the stools at the foot of the bed.  With all that said and in the spirit of "working with what you've got", I am making progress in other areas.

First off, our headboard was a quick and easy DIY project that my husband and I collaborated on. 

Headboard Details:
We just used 1"x 2" wood boards (you can find these at Lowe's or Home Depot) to make a frame for the fabric and batting to stretch across. Our head board is approximately 72" wide (for our King bed) and is 36"high.  My husband also placed a 1"x 2" in the center for additional support.  We took the wood frame and then wrapped it with fabric batting (you can find this at Hancock Fabrics) and then wrapped it with the fabric.  I recommend picking a good medium weight upholstery fabric, so you don't have sagging or picking issues.   All you need is some lumber, nails or screws, and a good staple gun.  To attach the head board to the wall we used some extra heavy duty picture hooks.  The headboard and frame are so light that this works really well. 



The latest customization in this space, is the pillow covers that I just finished.  I used the same "envelope" style construction that I did for the pillows on the sofa in my family room. You can read all of the details on the "how to make an envelope pillow" post, here.  The fabric on the large pillows is "Momentum' s" Mojo, color: Cabana. The fabric on the headboard is "Momentum's" Telegram, color: Chocolate.

"Momentum" is a contract textile company that I use quite a bit on my commercial design projects.  You can see there full line of products by clicking here.

Last but not least, the pictures above the headboard were created by a past co-worker of mine.  We saw some similar prints on a trip we took to the "Neocon" trade show several years back in Chicago.  The talented, Becky O'Hatnick, then recreated the look using "Photoshop".  The prints were framed by "The Final Touch" out of Mountain City, TN.  This set of pictures was hanging in my office, but I recently decided I would enjoy these more at home.

All in all my standard cream duvet, which was a wedding present off our "Bed, Bath, and Beyond" registry (thanks Mom and Dad), is starting to feel more custom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment