Thursday, December 12, 2013

Fun Christmas Decorations for Toddlers

This is the first year both my boys are old enough to really be excited about Christmas.  I thought I would involve them in making some holiday decorations that are super toddler friendly.  First up is a  felt tree with working lights.  I simply took a foam cone (purchased on sale at Michael's), and then covered it with varying shades of green felt (I had plenty left over from making my wreaths, see here).





I snipped the strips of felt to add some texture to the tree. I used "Ailene's" clear tacky glue to adhere each strip to the cones, slightly overlapping each row.  To add the "sparkle" to the trees, I added a light string necklace.  The necklace is also from "Michael's" although I have seen these all over the place from "Home Depot" to the grocery store.  The necklace has battery powered plastic lights, which make for a really fun toddler tree.  I made one of these for each of my boys' rooms.  By far their favorite part is watching the lights twinkle and nothing is more special than having your own little Christmas tree.





Second up, I put together a little felt Christmas tree for the boys to decorate.  All you have to do is cut out a tree outline from a large piece of green felt. I used chalk to trace the outline onto the felt (notice my design is by no means perfect...just quick and dirty).  I then cut out ornaments and presents for the boys to use as decorations.  The felt ornaments stick to the felt tree and can easily be removed and put back for hours of toddler tree decorating fun... (well maybe minutes of tree decorating fun...it is for toddlers after all).


In case the felt projects above didn't already give it away, I am still on a felt crafting kick.  I would love to hear about any other holiday felt ideas you might have.  Please feel free to comment and share!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment