Friday, July 6, 2012

Raised Bed Corn


Raised Beds at Sycamore Shoals State Park


My family and I recently visited Sycamore Shoals State Park in Elizabethton, TN.  This is a really nice state park and is only about a twenty minute drive from our house.  The park features a fort with examples of frontier living by the river.  There are really nice walking trails and I was excited to see that they have examples of raised garden beds just outside the fort. 

If you would like more information about the park, here is a link to their website: 
http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/SycamoreShoals/

I took some pictures of  the raised beds where they were growing corn.  I hadn't thought about growing corn in such a confined space, but it seems to be working well. I also liked the "walking plank" they stretched across the raised bed.  This path will be very useful come harvest time plus it is a fun way for a child to experience the garden.  My two year old loved working his way back and forth through the corn stalks on this plank path.

River View from Walking Trail at Sycamore Shoals State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment