Monday, November 12, 2012

Making Room for the Boys!

Photo Courtesy of Beth Duncan
I just found out that a friend/past co-worker is now expecting her first child (congratulations Michelle and Nathan).  In honor of such great news, I thought I would share some design ideas from my little ones' nurseries. 

Instead of a traditional changing table for my first son, I opted for a double dresser.  The height is perfect for me and the storage is beyond valuable.  The dresser is a find from the local "REAL WOOD" furniture store.  The alder wood dresser was purchased unfinished.  Gratefully, my Dad finished the dresser in a walnut stain for us.  The blue ceramic lamp was a bargain find at TJ Maxx.  The tree wall decal feels like it is sprouting out of the changing pad on the dresser.  I found the removable tree decal on sale at Kohl's.


One of my first sewing projects was roman shades for this room.  I found some leaf motif fabric to tie into the tree wall decal.  I added a chocolate polka dot border to frame the shades.

Fabric Detail, Roman Shade


I wanted to spell out my son's name above his crib. I found these stitched leather frames on a 50% sale at "HOBBY LOBBY". I also found some cardboard letters and type-print scrap book paper there. I wanted the letters to seem as though they had been thoughtfully "pulled" from the alphabet of type.


I liked the letters from Noah's room so much, that I decided to repeat this idea  for my second child.  Instead of individual frames, I opted for one long rectangle with multi-colored letters.


The kites on the wall were inspired by a "Pottery Barn Kids" catalog.  The catalog featured kites suspended from the ceiling to highlight their "Curious George" bedding.  I ordered the "PB Curious George" crib sheets and made my own fabric kites.  I attached the kites to the wall with "3-M Command Strips".

Some consistency in both nurseries is the wall paint and crib.  The paint color is "Crocodile Tears" by Olympic paint (purchased at Lowes).  The crib is "Graco's" Lauren crib.  I have the espresso finish in Noah's room and the black in Samuel's (the finishes look practically the same).  I can highly recommend this crib.  The crib converts to a toddler bed (this is what Noah is currently using) and eventually the back piece can be used as a headboard for a full/queen size bed.  At just a bit over a hundred dollards this crib is a great value.

I am currently planning ways to modify my two year old's room into more of a toddler space.  I am sure that I will post updates as this happens.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Laura! I am definitely going to do the dresser/changing table thing :)

    ReplyDelete