Friday, October 18, 2013

Blue Light Special



I picked up the lamp on my dresser many years ago at "TJ Maxx".  Lately I have been growing tired of the plain cream linen shade and thought it would be good to switch things up.  On a recent trip to "Lowes", I picked up a can of "silver fox" spray paint by Valspar.  I liked the fact that the "silver fox" paint was a soft blue with a nice subdued gray tone to it.    I thought this color would compliment the soft blues in the art hung above my dresser. As a side note, the art is an antique store find that my mother snatched up for my birthday several years ago.  The watercolor print features the river in the foreground and the Eiffel tower in the foggy distance.  I had the print re-framed with a non-glare glass and linen mat.



Well now that I have digressed, back to the lamp shade. It took three coats of spray paint for me to get good overall coverage.



I got a little sloppy with the paint and accidentally got some on the inside of the shade when I was trying to cover the rim.  My solution, was to commit to my mistake and paint both the exterior and interior of the shade.  Paint on a linen shade brings out the texture of the fabric and makes it appear a bit "chunky" and rough.  I am not sure that I love this side effect, but for now the color change makes me happy.  Who knows, if I  find another shade that I like better I can always switch it out later.  I am also considering adding some ribbon to the bottom and/or top rims.  I would love to find a nice black/white Greek key ribbon.  Any thoughts?  Add the ribbon or leave well enough alone?


Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment