Monday, March 25, 2013

Mickey Mouse is in the House


This past weekend was filled with celebration for my oldest son's third birthday.  It is hard to believe he is already three. One of his favorite things right now is Mickey Mouse and the Disney Junior cartoon, "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse".  I decided that for his party I would try to make a Mickey Mouse cake.  In planning, I pinned several cake ideas to my ongoing "Birthday Cake Ideas for Toddler Boys" inspiration board on Pinterest.  You can check out my entire Pinspiration board of ideas by clicking here.  I ended up finding a "Wilton" Mickey Mouse cake form at Hobby Lobby.  With the help of a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby the cake pan was only around $8.



I used a "Betty Crocker" cake mix and the "Wilton" whipped icing mix.  I colored the icing with "Wilton's" black, ivory, and peach  color gels. Because we had several guests at the party, I also ordered some cupcakes from Sam's Club.  You can get 30 cupcakes for $13 and some change at Sam's Club. I bought some Mickey toppers at our local "Party Corner" store.  I thought the Mickey toppers were expensive at $5/per package of eight, so I only got one package.  I just placed one here and there in the cupcake box and left the "Happy Birthday & Balloon" toppers that came from Sam's on the others.


The cake ended up being a bit too dry, but all in all we had a great time!

To recap my cake decorating experience to date, below are the photos from the past birthday parties for my boys.

Cake from my youngest son's 1st birthday, June 2012

Cake from my oldest son's 2nd birthday, March 2012
 My first decorative cake was a Dinosaur cake for my oldest son's first birthday, but I can't seem to find the pictures.  It was a fondant covered cake with Dinosaur  and circle fondant cutouts. Maybe I can find the pictures soon and post an update.

Have a great Monday!

Laura



No comments:

Post a Comment